- Applied and educational linguistics including teacher education, sociolinguistics, second language education, and academic English
- Critical Reading and Writing
- Applied Linguistics
- Seminar: Language and Society (Second Language and Bilingual Education, Language and Gender, Language Policy)
- 【Personal Statement】
- I have a message to the students: You are at the crossroads. Think about your future—all the possibilities you have ahead of you. Remember your old dreams—create new ones—and let your dreams guide you as you move forward.
- Research Topics
- ・I am interested in research that advances higher-education and language program administration. I am also interested in investigating variables that affect student motivation (and de-motivation) and ultimately influence the students’ academic success.
- Recent activities and publications
- ・Four learners, four paths: An ethnographic study of English learners in Japan
Long and winding road: A study of highly motivated learners of English in Japan
The education of linguistic minority students in the United States: A study of Asian immigrants
- ・The learning outcomes of an academic writing course: A study of Japanese university students
- ・Challenges of implementing a university English for academic purposes program in Japan
- ・The philosophical, political, and the practical dimensions of English for academic purposes education: A focus on critical thinking