The Tuition Remission System for Privately Funded Non-Japanese Foreign Students
In order to support the international student community at Meiji Gakuin University (MGU), the university has implemented a tuition remission system to ease the financial burden of full-time foreign students who privately fund their education. This is a university-wide program open to all full-time, actively enrolled students at MGU who meet the qualifications below. Based upon “Provisions for the Tuition Remission System for Privately Funded Full-time Foreign Students at Meiji Gakuin University,” the International Exchange Committee will judge the applications, and make the final awards.
Eligibility Requirements and Conditions:
Applicants must meet these requirements:
- They presently reside in Japan with “Foreign Student” (ryūgaku) status, or they are eligible to change their present visa status to “Foreign Student.”
- They are not on a leave of absence from MGU.
- They do not receive Japanese government funding (kokuhi ryūgaku).
- They do not receive funding from JICA, the Japan Foundation, the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, similar organizations, or other governments.
- Undergraduate students must fulfill a required minimum number of total units at the end of each term in order to be considered for a renewal of the remission. There are also provisions for students in their first term at MGU to apply for the remission.The following table shows the cumulative number of units required at the end of each term in order to reapply for the remission.
By the end of term 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Required units 15 30 45 60 75 90 105
- Graduate students must complete the normal number of units per term as set by their program.
- The program is intended to help students who have difficulty with meeting their tuition payments.
- There are limits on the total number of terms a student may receive the remission. Undergraduates may not receive more than eight terms of support. For master’s degree students, the limit is up to four terms, and Ph.D. students the limit is six.
- Foreign exchange students who have enrolled at MGU through a study-abroad program with a partner institution are not eligible for the tuition remission system.
When to Apply:
The application periods are at the start of each term, and the award announcements are in May and October.
The selection process for remission recipients will begin after the applicants have paid their tuition to MGU and started the term. Students file their applications at the International Center of Yokohama or Shirokane Campus . For information on the required documents, please contact the staff at International Center.
The Level of Funding:
Recipients will receive a 30% tuition remission for the term in which they are selected. For the tuition, please refer here.